Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Red Iguana


Red Iguana
736 W North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
(801) 322-1489


Killer Nachos

From the Menu: Generous portion of house fried tortilla chips topped w/ refried beans, pork chile verde, house made pork chorizo, melted jack cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, black olives, green onions & jalapenos.

Price: $10.99


Oh boy, this review has been a long time coming. It's been on my "to-write" list for about four months. Do you know what happens to my brain in the course of four months? What about since last weekend? Major memory desedimentation. I'm lucky I can remember how to tie my shoes at this point. If the police ever had to question me regarding where I was, what was I doing, and if I had an alibi for events that took place prior to 24 hours ago I would most assuredly end up in jail. I would appear conspicuous as fuck and found guilty in record time.

Fortunately I had the foresight to immediately record my numerical thoughts below. Otherwise, this would have been a complete disaster. Okay, it still is, but at least there are pretty pictures!


Here are the bullet points of what I remember:
  • My wife and I were in Utah to celebrate her graduating from Utah State and receiving her Master's Degree. As a dietitian.
  • Yes, you read that correct.
  • In Utah I felt it imperative to eat nachos. Or simply, I feel it's imperative to eat nachos.
  • We discovered the Red Iguana was quite close to our hotel.
  • We discovered this "guy" also ate at the Red Iguana at one point:
  • We contemplated leaving after learning this, but decided to stick it out.
  • We waited outside for a table for at least 45 minutes to an hour with all the locals, hipsters, and out-of-towners. Why the hell was it so busy?
  • We realized it was Cinco-de-Mayo. 
  • We enjoyed some of the best Mexican food we ever ate in our lives.
So, what can I say? Oh, you are wondering about the nachos...I see. Well, the chips were homemade, distinctively crunchy, and delicious. All of the ingredients were incredibly fresh as expected. If you are not using fresh ingredients than Guy and I aren't interested. Words cannot describe how unique the pork chile verde and house made pork chorizo tasted. Not because it's been so long, but because I was drinking. And it's been so long.

  • Presentation: 9
  • Assembly: 9
  • Originality: 5
  • Value: 8
  • Taste: 9
  • Overall: 8.0

2 comments:

  1. My favorite nachos in the world! -Kristan Delle, MS, RD, LDN, CLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. It was an interesting and cool experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. Please keep writing reviews and also do share more stories.

    ReplyDelete