Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year's Nachos




Home
Somewhere in Pennsylvania


New Year's Nachos

Ingredients: boneless center cut pork chop, canned sauerkraut, Gala & Granny Smith apples, Garden of Eatin Restaurant Style White Corn Tortilla Chips, one bottle of Lion's Head beer, mozzarella cheese, and scallions

Price: Just a couple bucks per serving. I think. I can post the receipt if you like.


For as long as I can remember I have eaten pork & sauerkraut on New Year's Day. It is one of the sacred traditions my mother has never missed - ever - while I was growing up. It is a tradition I don't mind undertaking now that I am a man (of sorts). Well, that along with my tradition of watching Planes, Trains & Automobiles on Thanksgiving, wearing my favorite shirt the day after laundry day, and losing at scratch off lotto tickets.

This year I decided to agglutinate a tradition of ideas and flavors of my own. It started with a sleep-deprived brilliant idea and the next thing I know I was at Shop Rite purchasing ingredients and thinking about my poor mother's feelings.

Frankenstein's Ingredients
The Science
It's ALIVE!!!

Five hours later I was bringing in the New Year with my family. I may have received questionable glances at first, but soon almost enough everyone wanted a taste.

Who's crazy now?

Even though the color was a bit bland and monotone the flavor was just fantastic. The apples reduced the sourness of the kraut, the pork was tender, tasty and had a tiny hint of beer, and the chips were my alternate edible silverware (think of the environment). The mozzarella cheese stitched it all together like Frankenstein's monster and I was a madman content with his creation.

A simple and delicious way to welcome in 2015. I wonder if I can convince my wife of another new tradition I've been thinking about - nachos in bed on the weekend.

On a side note: eating mashed potatoes with tortilla chips is my new thing.

Happy New Year everyone!

  • Presentation: 5
  • Assembly: 7
  • Uniqueness: 9
  • Value: 10
  • Taste: 8
  • Overall: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment