Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Hurricane Grill & Wings




Hurricane Grill & Wings
10440 SW Village Center Drive
Port Saint Lucie, FL 34987
(772) 345-9464


Hurricane Nachos

From the Menu: Crisp tortilla chips loaded with our House Chili, queso cheese and jalapenos. Drizzled with our Ancho Chile Lime sauce and topped with diced tomatoes and red onions.

Price: $8.99
+ guacamole for 99c


Florida is too fucking hot.

My wife and I traveled to Florida recently to visit family and live it up like old retired folk. We had a great time avoiding the sun by running from the house to the car and then making a mad dash from the car to whatever indoor event we happened to do that day. Experiencing Florida in July made me realize two things. One: how much I love Pennsylvania. Two: If the earth was two feet closer to the sun we would all die.

The beautiful Florida sunset.

One of the establishments I ran into to avoid direct sunlight was Hurricane Grill & Wings. According to Yelp these nachos were ranked pretty high. I was in a foreign land and unfamiliar with the landscape and Yelp was my guiding light (except that Yelp originally guided me to a location that closed down). My guess is that it spontaneously combusted. But, as a man obsessed with nachos and afraid to roll my window down to ask for directions I nacho-ed on! Mind you I was only afraid to roll my window down because I made a solemn vow to not let any of the soupy Florida air into my rental car in fear of the air conditioner disintegrating.




I am happy to report that I completely demolished these nachos. They tasted pretty damn good, but something else may have actually been at play. Was it the beer? Was it the nacho desperation? Was it that the act of simply blinking would make me sweat bullets and I needed to replenish those calories? It's hard to say. The ancho chile lime sauce was certainly unique (I tasted a hint of garlic) and was the signature selling point of these nachos. It is a flavor that completely complimented the house chili, but didn't overpower it. The queso cheese absolutely married these trifecta of flavors together in a tasty fashion. Unfortunately, I have to say a good portion of this deliciousness was only sitting atop the tortilla chips like the sun above Florida at high noon. I would have preferred a few more layers.

Ultimately, I was extremely surprised by the wonderful mixture of flavors from Hurricane Grill & Wings which apparently enjoys celebrating violent and deadly Caribbean storms in their name for some odd reason.

  • Presentation: 7
  • Assembly: 6
  • Originality: 6
  • Value: 7
  • Taste: 8
  • Overall: 6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment