Sunday, September 8, 2013

Jimmy Buffett's Air Margaritaville

Jimmy Buffett's Air Margaritaville: 
Montego Bay  
Sangster Int'l Airport
876 Montego Bay
St. James, Jamaica
(876) 952-4777






Nachos

From the Menu: Crispy corn tortilla chips with cheese, tomatoes, scallions, jalapenos, sour cream and salsa.

Price: $14.95

Add guacamole: $3.95


For the full effect of this review please play this song in the background.

Let's immediately not cut to the chase. When I was resorting in Jamaica this summer, hanging out with some great friends, I wanted to eat nachos somewhere... anywhere. Surely this would be a once in a lifetime treat! However, my selection was extremely limited due to the inclusion (aka very thick high walls) of the resort I was practically squatting at. I certainly couldn't leave the complex and wonder the Jamaican dirt roads, asking locals where I could procure nachos to rate for my blog, could I? That answer is simply and undeniably, "No." So, on the day I was leaving Jamaica I found myself in the airport making one last-ditch effort to enjoy Caribbean nachos at Jimmy Buffett's Air Margaritaville. Why the fuck not? He's Jimmy Buffet and is the epitome of the Caribbean lifestyle, right?


Vice President Larry David knows nachos, right?

Through my research to learn more about Jimmy Buffett prior to writing this blog I realized how little I actually knew about Jimmy Buffet. Let me ask you this: How many songs do you know by Jimmy Buffett? Probably just the 1, but maybe 2 at the most? What do you really know about the man except that he is a singer-songwriter? If he was walking down the street would you recognize him? If you were able to confidently answer any of these questions instead of my expected open-mouth silence then you are probably a "Parrothead." And for that I'm truly sorry, so close your browser and have a shitty life. I can never unhear "Math Sucks."


"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." - Jimmy Buffett

Now, I knew from the menu description I wasn't going to get those unique Caribbean nachos I was hoping for. That saddened me, but it is my fault for not utilizing the beach-dwelling locals back at the resort. Perhaps nachos were actually further down on the list of goods they would try to sell me on a nightly basis. Anyway, as I dove into the top layer of my nachos I knew I was slated for further regret because they were fucking soggy. This is not a good sign considering I still had the entire pail to go. It's like eating a sandwich but the condiments turn the bread into that delicious mouth-watering mush - I do not abide. Apart from this rookie nacho blunder by the cook, the guacamole was so painfully average I had to wash it down with the most Jamaican part of this meal: my Red Stripe beer. Well, I tried to power through as much of the nachos as I could, but even with my girlfriend's help we left at least half in the can. Regrettably, cheese cannot fix everything. I was just wasting time and money at Margaritaville. I guess you could say it was my own damn fault.

In closing, fuck you Jimmy Buffett for making me use that pun.

  • Presentation: 8
  • Assembly: 4
  • Uniqueness: 3
  • Value: 2 
  • Taste: 3
  • Overall: 4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment